How to use Twitter Lite on Android
The Twitter Lite app is a data and storage friendly way to use Twitter on a smartphone. Key features of the Twitter Lite app are:
- Loads quickly on 2G and 3G networks.Â
- Minimizes data usage â turn on data saver mode to download only the images or videos you want to see.
- Takes up less space â at an install size under 3MB, Twitter Lite doesnât take up much room on your phone.
Note: Twitter Lite is available exclusively in the Google Play Store* and is currently compatible with devices supporting Android versions 5.0 and above. If you cannot access the Google Play Store, you can use the mobile web version of Twitter on mobile.twitter.com.
How to reduce your data usage
Twitter Lite is designed to minimize the amount of data used while you use Twitter. You can reduce the amount of data used by Twitter by enabling data saver mode. Control what media you want downloaded in real time to help save data.Â
- Tap your profile photo, to access the dash menu.
- Tap the toggle next to Data saver to turn on.
In this mode, images will be presented as a preview, and large images will only be loaded when you request them. You can view images by tapping Load image in Twitter Lite.
To log in or sign up
To get started, open the Twitter Lite app once itâs downloaded.
To log in:
- Tap Log in.
- Enter your username, phone number, or email address.
- Enter your password.
- Tap Log in.
To sign up for a new account:
- Tap Sign up.
- Enter your full name and your phone number. If you prefer to use your email address, tap Use email instead.Â
- Tap Sign up.Â
- Enter a password and tap Next.
- If you chose to sign up with an email address, we may ask for your phone number. You can enter it or tap Not now.
- Enter a username (weâll suggest some available options), then tap Next.
- Weâll help you get started by suggesting interest categories and accounts within those categories.
- If youâre on an Android device, you can receive push notifications. Tap Turn on notifications to receive push notifications.
- When youâre ready to go to your timeline, tap Done.
To post a Tweet
- Tap the compose Tweet iconÂ accessible from your Home timeline, search tab, the Notifications tab, or profiles.
- Start typing where it says Whatâs happening?Â
- If youâd like to Tweet an image, tap the photo iconÂ You can add up to four images to your Tweet.
- Tap Tweet to post.
Note: Learn how to create a thread consisting of multiple Tweets.
To find and follow accounts
To find an account:
- Tap the search iconÂ
- Type in the name or username of the account youâre looking for.Â
- A list of suggested accounts and trends will appear once you start typing.
To follow an account:
- Go to the accountâs profile and tap Follow.Â
- If you see a Tweet from an account and decide youâd like to follow them, tap the Tweet to expand it and then tap the follow iconÂ
How to bookmark TweetsÂ
Use the Bookmarks feature to bookmark Tweets youâd like to refer to later:
- Tap the share icon.
- Select Add to Bookmarks to save the Tweet for later viewing.
To access your Bookmarks:
- Tap your profile photo on the top left corner to access the Bookmarks menu option.
- Tap the home iconÂ to get to your Home timeline.
- Your Home timeline includes the latest Tweets from accounts you follow.
- When the Home tab has a blue dot next to it, there are new Tweets waiting to hit your timeline. Pull down on your timeline to load these new Tweets.
- From the Home timeline, you can tap on an individual Tweet to see the Tweet details. From here, you can reply to, Retweet, Quote Tweet, or like the Tweet.
- When you want to navigate back to the Home timeline, tap the back iconÂ
The Notifications tab is where you can see how others on Twitter are interacting with you.
- Tap the Notifications iconÂ to get to your Notifications timeline.
- Your Notifications timeline shows you which of your Tweets have been liked, plus the latest Retweets (of your Tweets), Tweets directed to you (replies and mentions), and your new followers.
Profile and settings
To access your profile and settings, tap your profile photo. In the menu, you can:
- Tap Profile to get to your profile.
- To edit your profile, tap Profile and then Edit profile. From here you can edit your profile photo, full name, URL, location, and bio.
- Tap Profile to see your Following and Follower lists, as well as your posted Media and your Likes.
- To edit your settings, tap your profile photo, then Settings and privacy. From here you can edit your:
- Account settings, which include:
- Data and permission, which is where you can review Your Twitter data and Connected applications
- Privacy and safety settings
- Notifications settings
- Content preferences
- General settings, which includeÂ Data usage
How to enable dark mode
- In the top menu, tap your profile icon.â¨
- Tap Display.â¨
- Under Background, choose Dim or Lights out by tapping your preference.Â
- To turn the feature off, select Default.
*The Twitter Lite app is available in the following countries:Â Albania, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Armenia, Aruba, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Belize, Benin, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, CÃ´te dâIvoire, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Fiji, Finland, Gabon, Germany, Greece, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia (FYROM), Mali, Malta, Mauritius, Moldova, Mozambique, Myanmar (Burma), Namibia, Niger, Oman, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, and Zambia.